Get the Most Out of Your Career
Roberta Gamza, Career Ink (www.careerink.com) | © 2017
Do you enjoy your job? Are you living up to your potential? Can you answer yes to these questions on most days? You’re going to have good days and bad days at work. Every job has some elements that are less pleasing than others; the goal is to have many more enjoyable than disagreeable days. Here are 8 steps you can take to maximize your career potential.
- Make sure you are in the right job. Do you enjoy what you do? If yes, great, if no, then determine what you’d rather be doing and what it takes to get that job. Perhaps you took this job under financial pressures or as a stop gap. Then don’t lose sight of your dreams and values. Get back on track and go for your dreams.
- Always have an up-to-date resume and an exit strategy. Be prepared to make a move when an opportunity presents itself or if a change in business jeopardizes or eliminates your job.
- Continue to learn new skills and technologies. Explore educational opportunities that will make you more valuable and attractive to employers.
- Take on new challenges. Volunteer for the projects that your peers avoid.
- Become a valuable resource. Be the subject matter expert that everyone goes to. Mentor and coach new hires and struggling associates in your career field.
- Continue to challenge yourself. Always have a goal you are striving for and a plan to achieve it. Once you achieve that goal, set another goal and begin working toward it.
- Invest in yourself. Attend conferences. Meet new people. Expand your influence.
- Always give a little more than what’s expected. Go the extra mile in all that you do.